Florida Five: Miami mega-mall gets green light, DWS draws smallest crowd ever

Five of today’s top Florida political stories at your fingertips:

Florida Cabinet approves land sale for Miami-Dade County mega-mall – The state is selling 82 acres near Hialeah for $12.3 million to a mega-mall developer for what will be the nation’s largest shopping mall and entertainment complex. Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet approved the sale Tuesday despite objections that the land should have been put up for bids. Read more

DWSWasserman Schultz draws smallest crowd ever; makes embarrassingly childish remark about Marco Rubio – It’s going to be a fun election season if Debbie Wasserman Schultz keeps opening her mouth to insert her foot. In true DWS fashion, the Florida congresswoman and chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee fired off a tweet Monday attacking 2016 presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and it backfired brilliantly. Read more

This 15-year-old started his own political action committee – Benjamin Burstein is a high school sophomore from Miami Beach, Florida. He turns 16 next week. And over the last week, when he had some free time, he started his own political action committee. Burstein filed his PAC, Teens for Teens, with the Federal Election Commission last Friday. Its mission: “increasing political literacy and representation among students under the age of eighteen.” Burstein says he created Teens for Teens to encourage more teenagers to register to vote, even though Burstein himself won’t be able to vote until 2017. Read more

Rubio run sets political dominoes falling – Get ready for a wild political ride. U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio’s announcement that he is running for president could set political dominoes falling in Volusia and Flagler counties and elsewhere in the Sunshine State, said Susan MacManus, a political scientist at the University of South Florida. Just a day after Rubio’s speech declaring his candidacy, U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis announced Tuesday he is considering vying for Rubio’s Senate seat. Read more

Miami’s Cuban-American members of Congress slam Obama over Cuba terror designation change – The trio of Miami Cuban-American Republicans in Congress — Reps. Carlos Curbelo, Mario Diaz-Balart and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen — were quick to denounce the White House’s decision Tuesday to remove Cuba from the list of state sponsors of terrorism. Congress has 45 days to block the action, if it can find enough support — a veto-proof majority — to do so, which seems unlikely. Here are statements from the three representatives. Read more

ICYMI: Fight breaks out over stolen valor: Guy accused of wearing uniform to pick up girls, get free drinks at bar

BONUS OP-ED: Spymaster spins Everglades yarn

For more Florida political news, visit BPR’s FLORIDA NEWS page

Powered by Topple

Comments

Latest Articles