Apparently Dorothy is not alone in thinking there’s no place like home.
At a cost of $295,227 to U.S. taxpayers, President Obama opted to fly home from New York over the Labor Day weekend, only to return the following day to attend the wedding of his personal chef Sam Kass to MSNBC’s Alex Wagner, according to details obtained by Judicial Watch.
The president traveled to New York to attend a pair of fundraisers, and was scheduled to spend the night in Westchester. But a last minute change in plans by Obama to return to Washington, D.C., suggests he puts a premium on White House bed linen.
White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said at the time the president wanted to “sleep in his own bed, do a little work tomorrow, spend some time with his family, and then travel back to New York.”
Flying back to D.C. “created an additional 1.4 hours spent in Air Force One, which adds up to $295,227.80 more in taxpayer dollars,” the watchdog organization reported.
“This Labor Day back-and-forth shows President Obama seems to confuse Air Force One with Uber,” Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement. “President Obama abuses not only taxpayers with this unnecessary travel — he strains an already overstretched military and a Secret Service that is in crisis and can’t even guard the front door of the White House.”
The extra expense to return to the White House is one part of a costly Labor Day schedule for Obama, where flight expenses alone totaled $1,539,402.
According to the records obtained by Judicial Watch:
- Flights for Obama’s 2014 Labor Day weekend fundraising trips to Westchester, New York, and Providence, Rhode Island, cost taxpayers $527,192.50
- Transportation for Obama’s round-trip flight from D.C. to Westchester, New York, to attend a wedding cost taxpayers $358,490.90
- The flight for Obama’s trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to speak at “Laborfest 2014” cost taxpayers $653,718.70
- Judge dismisses hospital workers’ lawsuit against vaccine requirement: ‘work somewhere else’ - June 14, 2021
- Biden confuses Syria with Libya THREE TIMES during solo G7 presser - June 14, 2021
- Andrew Giuliani lets TikTok personality ‘Crackhead Barney’ get the better of him during insane exchange - June 11, 2021