Contradicting the established narrative, a witness told a grand jury looking into the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown that the teenager did not have his hands up when he was shot and killed by police officer Darren Wilson.
“Hands up, don’t shoot” has been the rally cry from the jump, as protesters said the unarmed teen was shot while he had his arms up in a surrendering gesture, but like many things being accepted at face value in Ferguson, that may not be what actually happened, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Lab tests back cops in St. Louis shooting;
reaction indicates dangerous race war ahead
An eyewitness who saw the entire incident testified recently before the grand jury and offered a version of events that differs substantially from what many have come to accept as the truth.
Under the condition that he not be identified, the Post-Dispatch reported that the witness, a black man, said:
- After an initial scuffle in the car, the officer did not fire until Brown turned back toward him.
- Brown put his arms out to his sides but never raised his hands high.
- Brown staggered toward Wilson despite commands to stop.
- The two were about 20 to 25 feet apart when the last shots were fired.
- He would not detail what he had told the grand jury but said the members seemed fair and asked a lot of questions.
In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, many residents said Wilson shot Brown in the back as he ran away and several more times when he turned to face the officer with his arms high in the air. The claim that Brown was shot in the back was disproved when an autopsy reports was released.
Since the incident, there have been wide scale protests and lootings that have propelled the story to the national forefront.
The Post-Dispatch reported that differences in witness accounts is common.
(That’s especially true when one side is making things up.)
- White woman immediately fired for NYC dog park argument with black couple she allegedly told ‘stay in your hood’ - September 27, 2021
- Unpopular Liz Cheney claims in ’60 Minutes’ fluff hit she ‘absolutely’ can defeat Trump-backed challenger - September 27, 2021
- ‘We don’t want your racism…Get out of here!’ Sharpton makes hasty retreat as hecklers drown him out - September 24, 2021