The Obama mindset that the federal government knows what’s best for you took another hit this week, when two New York School Districts dropped out of the Michelle Obama-inspired National School Lunch Program, joining hundreds of others.
Fayetteville-Manlius and Baldwinsville announced that they were willing to forego federal reimbursement for high school lunches – those that are sold – for preparing their own and having them eaten instead of thrown away, Syracuse.com reported.
The rising number of student complaints, the meager portions, the slump in sales and the rise in wastage all convinced the school board to reject the federal program, said District Assistant Superintendent Michael Vespi.
In Chicago’s District 214 cafeteria, Associate Superintendent Cathy Johnson cut straight to the chase regarding their new menu and dropping the federal mandate.
“So far so good,” she told WBBM CBS2. “The meals, as you’ve seen, look fantastic, and there’s a lot of excitement.”
Unreasonable restrictions on sodium, protein and fat championed by Michelle Obama in the National School Lunch Program caused headaches for chefs across the country, as well as to food manufacturers, who have had to scramble to devise new products that will also prove tasty.
District 214’s crispy falafels with flatbread and rice pilaf would not have made the First Lady’s grade, nor would pasta primavera with roasted vegetables and olive oil, yet the students gobble them up.
It is estimated that since 2012, more than 1 million students have stopped purchasing school lunches and over $1 billion in good food has been chucked out, CBS2 reported.
Additionally, dropping out of Uncle Sam’s plan allows schools to maintain their vending machines, bake sales and cupcake birthday parties, which serve as profit-makers to subsidize other school activities.
Although school administrators will re-evaluate their local cafeteria programs at the end of the year, they uniformly feel confident that they will stand tall at the end in Independence Square.
For more, see:
We know first-hand that censorship against conservative news is real. Please share stories and encourage your friends to sign up for our daily email blast so they are not getting shut out of seeing conservative news.
Latest posts by Richard Berkow (see all)
- New campaign ad sees national security as a game-changer: ‘Vote as if your life depends upon it’ - September 11, 2014
- McCain pounds Jay Carney over president’s Iraqi blundering: ‘You don’t have the facts!’ - September 11, 2014
- White House denies family’s claim Sotloffwas ‘sold’ to ISIS by ‘US-friendly moderates’ - September 10, 2014