Honesty is the threshold issue, or should be, when considering which politicians to support. The politician, Republican or Democrat, must satisfy the honesty requirement before any further consideration is given. Integrity should trump politics. If investigation reveals the candidate is an innate liar or lacks integrity, the process should stop and no further consideration should be given.
The politician who wants to help people tells them the truth, but the one who wants to help himself tells them what they want to hear. Intolerance toward a lying politician should be a given among right-thinking people, especially when evaluating a liar at high levels of government. Which brings me to a deepening mystery: How can the governed in our American republic, or any democratic republic, tolerate so many lies by one president?
The list of promises broken by President Obama and his chief subordinates is astounding. A few lies can be tolerated, but this many is a disgrace. Consider these lies, told by Obama and compiled from various news sites over the past seven years:
- If we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. (October 2007)
- [I] will put an end to the type of politics that breeds division and conflict and cynicism. (2008 campaign)
- The stimulus will fund shovel-ready jobs. (December 2008)
- [Insurance] premiums will be lowered by $2,500 per family. (2008 campaign)
- I will eliminate all income tax on seniors making less than $50,000 per year. (2008 campaign)
- I will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid. (2008 campaign)
- Guantanamo will be closed no later than one year from now. (January 2009) [Instead, he built the prison a $750,000 soccer field.]
- The public will have five days to look at every bill landing on my desk. (February 2009)
- If I don’t have this done [a strong pace of economic recovery] in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition. (February 2009)
- I’m pledging to cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term. (March 2009)
- You can keep your family doctor. (June 2009)
- If you like it, you can keep your current health-care plan. (June 2009)
- It’s here that companies like Solyndra are leading the way toward a brighter and prosperous future. (May 2010) [Solyndra later went belly-up after receiving $535 million from Obama’s administration.]
- If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. (July 2012)
- That’s a red line for us [if Syria uses chemical weapons]. (August 2012)
- It [the Benghazi terrorist attack] was a spontaneous riot about a movie. (September 2012)
- We got back every dime we used to rescue the financial system, with interest. (October 2012)
- This is the most transparent administration in history. (February 2013)
- We’re not taking away anyone’s gun rights. (March 2013)
- Your health insurance will be priced less than your phone bill. (September 2013)
- There was not even a smidgeon of corruption involving the IRS targeting. (February 2014)
I leave it to your conscience to conclude how many of these lies disturb you, and how much.
How did it come to this? These are not little white lies. You were deceived so that Obama and his “progressive” cohorts could get elected. You were deceived so that they could pass laws without anyone knowing what was in them. The president broke promises and crafted laws so that financial institutions could be fined tens of billions of dollars to fund a gigantic piggy bank for the progressive political agenda.
You were deliberately deceived, so that Obama and his minions could fundamentally change America. And they’re succeeding.
- John Kerry may be the most incompetent Secretary of State in living memory - June 8, 2021
- Earth Day: A creature of global socialists - April 21, 2021
- Mainstream media becomes destructive force to society - April 20, 2021