Fox News is reporting that the director of the Bureau of Land Management has announced the operation to seize “trespass cattle” belonging to Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy is over, bringing an end to the tense standoff.
“Based on information on the ground, we have made the decision to conclude this operation out of concern for the safety of the employees and the public,” the statement read, according to Fox News.
Bundy has locked horns with the federal government for more than 20 years because the rancher’s cattle are grazing on public land — the rights to which the family says has been handed down through generations.
The timing of the announcement comes on the heels of the news that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid may have played a part earlier in the dispute due to ties with a Chinese solar energy giant interested in building a solar farm in southern Nevada.
Saturday’s breaking development will be seen as a victory for the Bundy family, as protesters continue to flock to the ranch to support their efforts, including a growing number of armed militia members.
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Trump selects former NFL player to lead inner-city program, Dem mayor touts its success - April 20, 2019
- ‘Where was the support?’ Ex-NFL player Michael Sam says LGBT community used him, then ignored him when he hit bottom - April 20, 2019
- HBO asks that Trump not make Game of Thrones political. Conjures up memory of Bush’s head on a stake - April 19, 2019