Security forces in Israel reported Wednesday that an al-Qaida plot to attack the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and the main Israeli convention center in Jerusalem had been thwarted.
Israel’s Shin Bet internal security agency uncovered the plot, which was orchestrated from the Gaza Strip, according to The Times of Israel.
Three suspects are being held, but the key planner of the attacks is still at large. The plot was initiated by order of al-Qaida head Ayman al-Zawahiri, according to The Times, which reported:
The planned attacks included twin suicide bombings, against the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv and the main Israeli convention center in Jerusalem, where President Barack Obama gave the centerpiece speech of his Israel visit last March. Other planned attacks included targeting an Israeli bus and Jewish homes in East Jerusalem.
The three Palestinians were recruited through Facebook and Skype, the Shin Bet told The Times.
U.S. officials told Fox News they couldn’t independently verify the report, but that they do “believe this was a legitimate threat.”
Watch the report via Fox News:
Read the entire Times of Israel report here.
- Florida Five: DWS draws serious primary opponent, Legislators haul in $28.5 mil. pre-session - January 18, 2016
- Florida Five: Trump’s ‘Freedom Kids’ take Internet by storm, Miami seeks help with Cuban migrants - January 15, 2016
- Florida Five: Trump rallies ‘noisy as hell majority’ in Fla., Senate passes historic water bill - January 14, 2016