Led by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. John McCain 25 Republican senators voted for cloture on Friday, ending debate on funding the government and dashing hopes to defund Obamacare.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid needed 60 votes to stop the debate, allowing a simple majority to approve Obamacare funding.
Once the 60-vote threshold was met, Reid easily removed the “Full Faith and Credit Act” and language that would have defunded Obamacare, according to Breitbart.
With Capitol switchboards buzzing as constituents spoke out, Republicans could have followed the will of the people, but instead these 25 voted with Democrats, with asterisks next to those up for re-election in 2014:
- Lamar Alexander, Tennessee*
- Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire
- John Barrasso, Wyoming
- Roy Blunt, Missouri
- John Boozman, Arkansas
- Richard Burr, North Carolina
- Saxby Chambliss, Georgia
- Jeff Chiesa, New Jersey
- Daniel Coats, Indiana
- Tom Coburn, Oklahoma
- Thad Cochran, Mississippi*
- Susan Collins, Maine*
- Bob Corker, Tennessee
- John Cornyn, Texas*
- Lindsey Graham, South Carolina*
- John Hoeven, North Dakota
- Johnny Isakson, Georgia
- Mike Johanns, Nebraska
- Mark Kirk, Illinois
- Ron Johnson, Wisconsin
- John McCain, Arizona
- Mitch McConnell, Kentucky*
- Lisa Murkowski, Alaska
- John Thune, South Dakota
- Roger Wicker, Mississippi
Two Republican senators did not vote. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., tweeted on Thursday that he didn’t support cloture, but he was in Arizona for his 20-year-old son’s wedding, according to The Arizona Republic.
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who was attending his granddaughter’s wedding, said he would have voted for cloture, according to CNS News.
With only a simple majority needed, Reid’s amendment funding Obamacare passed on a party-line vote, with all 54 Democrats voting for it, and all 44 Republicans present voting against it.
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
- Florida Five: DWS draws serious primary opponent, Legislators haul in $28.5 mil. pre-session - January 18, 2016
- Florida Five: Trump’s ‘Freedom Kids’ take Internet by storm, Miami seeks help with Cuban migrants - January 15, 2016
- Florida Five: Trump rallies ‘noisy as hell majority’ in Fla., Senate passes historic water bill - January 14, 2016
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.