After three Oklahoma teens senselessly shot and killed rising college baseball star Chris Lane last week simply “just for fun,” Australia’s former deputy prime minister Tim Fischer has called for tourists to boycott the U.S.
Three “bored” teenagers with “nothing to do,” told police they wanted “to kill somebody,” allegedly shot Australian-born Lane, 22, while he was out jogging in Duncan, Okla., NBC News reported.
The three teens, 15, 16, and 17, were captured by police shortly after the drive-by shooting.
The Associated Press reported Tuesday afternoon that two of the teens, James Edwards and Chancey Luna, have been charged with first-degree murder and the third was “named as an accessory.”
The boys’ parents continue to proclaim their sons’ innocence, the Herald Sun reported.
The boys reportedly told police they were planning to shoot and kill a second random victim the same night, but were caught by police who used security cameras to track the suspects down.
Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford said one of the alleged suspects’ posted on Facebook before Lane’s shooting, “Bang. Two drops in two hours,” and one of the boys allegedly confessed to killing Lane “for the fun of it,” Mediaite reported Monday.
Fischer, who was a leading proponent of tighter gun control laws in Australia, blamed the “legacy of policies of the NRA” for this despicable act of violence.
According to the Herald Sun, Fischer said:
Tourists thinking of going to the USA should think twice.
This is the bitter harvest and legacy of the policies of the NRA that even blocked background checks for people buying guns at gunshows.
People should take this into account before going to the United States.
I am deeply angry about this because of the callous attitude of the three teenagers (but) it’s a sign of the proliferation of guns on the ground in the USA.
There is a gun for almost every American.
Lane was here in the U.S. on a baseball college with East Central University and his family and friends back in Melbourne were absolutely devastated by the news.
The Herald Sun reported that because the three suspects are teens, they would not face the death penalty if convicted. The maximum sentence, even if the boys are charged as adults, would be life in prison.
*This story was updated to include the Associated Press report of the criminal charges.
R.I.P. Chris Lane Facebook Page.
Watch a Sky News report on Lane’s senseless murder via the Herald Sun here:
Watch the CNN report here:
DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW
Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.