With a Senate immigration-reform bill set for a test vote Monday afternoon – a vote that could end debate on the bill before it comes to a final vote on Thursday – the Heritage Foundation on Monday released a list of 10 major problems it has with the measure.
The top 10 Heritage Foundation problems with Senate Bill 744:
1. Amnesty: Granting what Heritage calls “amnesty” to 11.5 million illegal immigrants will encourage more law-breaking in the future.
2. Security: Border security “triggers” authorize billions in spending with no guarantees of actual security improvements.
3. Cost: Unlawful immigrants consume more in tax dollars than they contribute, through the use of public education, medical systems and other social services.
4. Entitlements: Putting millions more on social service rolls will worsen the country’s entitlement-spending crisis.
5. Expanding bureaucracy: Administering those services will mean more government “offices, task forces and commissions.” More of the kind of big-government liberals love.
6. Ambiguous powers: In the bill, Congress grants “unprecedented discretionary and regulatory powers over immigration to the Department of Homeland Security.”
7. Unfairness: There are 4 million in line for citizenship who are playing by the rules that would not be helped by the bill.
8. Federalism: While immigration is a federal matter, states have a vital interest in who is coming into them and how. “The bill provides no clear proposal for partnerships between the federal and state or local governments.”
9. Special interests: At more than 1,000 pages, the bill is full of pork and special deals included to buy lawmakers’ votes. It is “an easy vehicle for hiding special-interest provisions that benefit a few people while ignoring the rest.”
10. Assimilation: The bill fosters greater dependence on government because it discontinues the current emphasis on assimilating immigrants through “instruction in the culture, history, and language of the United States through community and faith-based organizations.”
- Pelosi goes off the deep end when asked if a baby is human; ‘might be the dumbest response in history’ - October 1, 2015
- GOP congressman, whose mom died of breast cancer, explodes: ‘I’m tired of getting lectures from Democrats!’ - October 1, 2015
- Undercover sting catches Hillary worker breaking law: Hispanic voter sign-up using ‘Trump’s ‘bi**hface’ - October 1, 2015