The difficult decision on the fate of the Sandy Hook Elementary School building was postponed after an emotional town meeting on the matter Friday evening.
“I will chain my body to it and to protest if they try to reopen it,” Erica Lafferty, daughter of the slain Sandy Hook principal, told NBC News Connecticut. “It should be knocked down. There should be some type of long-lasting memorial.“
A task force of 28 officials had previously narrowed down the options to two: build a brand-new school down the street from the current location or rebuild or renovate the school on the existing site.
It’s obviously a painful decision for the residents of Newtown, Conn. after the horrific Dec. 14 mass shooting by Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six school staff members.
Teachers from Sandy Hook spoke to the task force privately before the public meeting, and afterwards, the task force decided to postpone its decision to consider other options, including new school locations that had previously been dismissed.
“When the teachers emerged from a closed-door executive session, some in tears, they declined to say what they had recommended, just that the conversation was ‘difficult,’” NBC News reported.
However, school board member Laura Roche said the “teachers made it clear they never want to set foot in the building again.”
Other family members feel differently.
“Mike Scarpa, father of two children who attended Sandy Hook, said a renovated building at the site would be a tribute – ‘an incredible way to honor the 26 angels that were lost,’” the article said.
Sandy Hook students have been attending school in a near-by town as the decision making process on reopening the Newtown location continues.
The NBC report said the cost of either renovating or rebuilding on a new site ranges from $47 to $59 million.
Share your thoughts by taking the poll:
Watch the NBC News report here: