Thursday promises to be an unusual day for high school students in Orange County, Fla.
The school district, led by moderate Republican and board Chairman Bill Sublette, has agreed to allow atheist groups on high school campuses to distribute material on atheism, agnosticism and secular humanism.
Representatives from the Freedom from Religion Foundation and the Central Florida Freethought Community will be “passively” distributing the following articles and papers to students, according to WKMG Local 6:
- The Age of Reason
- What They Said About Religion
- Ten Common Myths About Atheists
- What is Wrong with the Ten Commandments?
- What is an Atheist
- Nontheistic Students in Your School
- Humanist of the Year Award
- Don’t Believe in God? You may be a Humanist
- Why Women Need Freedom From Religion
- What is a Freethinker?
- Secular Student Alliance” brochure
Passive distribution means the materials will be left on an unmanned table in a common area for students to take during non-instructional time. The groups’ representatives may not interact with the students, and can only replenish materials if they run out, the TV report said.
In a letter to principals, the school district’s lawyers said the handouts were approved to avoid a lawsuit, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
Thursday’s distribution comes after the school district allowed the religious group, World Changers of Florida, to distribute free Bibles in January. The organization was allowed to “passively” hand out the holy books after successfully suing the Collier County School District for blocking a previous distribution attempt.
What a circus environment students in Orange County must endure.
Misguided and weak-kneed leadership by Sublette and the Orange County School Board are nothing new, as we saw in December, when they worked with Equality Florida, a gay rights advocacy group, to create a special protected category for “gender identity or expression” for students and employees.
In Gainesville, one of a handful of Florida cities and counties that recognize such a classification, defines gender identity as:
“An inner sense of being a specific gender, or the expression of a gender identity by verbal statement, appearance, or mannerisms, or other gender-related characteristics of an individual with or without regard to the individual’s designated sex at birth.”
All in all, the secular progressive intrusion in education makes one long for the days when the purpose of schools was to teach, not to drive a political agenda.
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Here are the 4 senate Republicans who just voted with Dems to protect special counsel Mueller - April 26, 2018
- Parkland teacher accused of comparing Kyle Kashuv to Hitler in unhinged classroom rant - April 26, 2018
- ‘But, bake the cake!’ Fireworks after court rules it’s legal for bar to boot Trump supporting patron - April 26, 2018