Airport officials refute Napolitano’s ‘false claims’ about sequester

Janet Napolitano
Photo Credit: DHS.gov

More sequester hysteria, hype, and lies? Say it isn’t so!

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano said Monday that Chicago’s O’Hare, Atlanta’s Hartfield-Jackson and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) “were seeing lines ‘150 to 200 per cent as long as we would normally expect’ as a result of the federal spending cuts that went into force on Friday,” the Daily Telegraph reported.

Napolitano reported the crazy long airport security lines to those in attendance at a Politico Playbook breakfast Monday morning. She told them, “”I don’t mean to scare, I mean to inform.”

Well, the secretary didn’t have her facts straight, according to the Telegraph who called those three airports to check on her claim.

The Telegraph reported:

“We haven’t had any slowdowns at all,” said Marshall Lowe, a spokesman for LAX. Mr. Lowe said that he had been on duty over the weekend and received no reports of unusual security delays.

DeAllous Smith, a spokesman for Hartfield-Jackson, said: “There have been no abnormally long lines at the security checkpoint nor unusual aircraft delays at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as a result of sequestration.”

Their comments were echoed by Karen Pride, the director of media relations at Chicago Department of Aviation, who described operations at O’Hare as “normal” with “no unusual delays or cancellations”.

The Telegraph said they contacted the Transportation Security Administration to ask about Napolitano’s comments and a spokesman told them, “we’ve been asked not to comment on the subject [of sequestration].”

How convenient.

Read more from the Daily Telegraph here.

Janeen Capizola

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." And fun! This conservative-minded political junkie, mom of three, dancer and one-time NFL cheerleader holds a bachelor of arts degree in political science. [email protected] Twitter: @JaneenBPR

Comments

Latest Articles