Does anyone besides me remember presidential press conferences? You know, those those gatherings American presidents used to conduct, especially after a startling or momentous event of national importance. The president would appear before the White House press corps to make an announcement and answer reporters’ questions.
The raid on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, which resulted in the murder of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, would seem to qualify as an event necessitating a press conference — in spades. Yet it’s been over six weeks, and the president hasn’t felt the need to be questioned by the media.
In an Oct. 19 New York Daily News op-ed, Fox News analyst Andrea Tantaros suggested “Obama must come clean on Benghazi.” So far, we hear nothing but crickets.
According to Fox News, President Obama has, however, conducted the following interviews since the Benghazi attack:
• 9/11: Miami’s DJ Laz — aka “Pimp with a Limp”
• 9/13: Noticiero Telemundo
• 9/18: Late Show with David Letterman
• 9/20: Univision Town Hall
• 9/23: 60 Minutes
• 9/24: The View
• 9/25: NBC News/Education Nation
• 10/10: World News with Diane Sawyer
• 10/12: The Yo! Show (where he deftly navigated the Nicki Minaj-Mariah Carey feud)
• 10/11: Cleveland Sports Radio 92.3 FM
• 10/18: Z107.9 Hip Hop Cleveland (radio interview)
• 10/18: Daily Show with Jon Stewart
• 10/24: The Tonight Show
• 10/26: MTV
• 10/26: Us Weekly — select questions/answers from POTUS to appear
Other on-the-record interviews since Obama’s last White House press conference include talks with TV host Jimmy Fallon, Glamour Magazine, a half-time interview with ESPN2 (USA basketball vs. Brazil where the president declared that the Dream Team would beat our current Olympic Team), Entertainment Tonight, People Magazine, Essence Magazine and KOB-FM Albuquerque, where he talked about his favorite type of chili and “Call Me Maybe.”
It’s time to get serious, Mr. President and set aside your childhood things. Forego Big Bird, basketball and bayonets — think Benghazi instead. You owe that and more to the American people.
- ‘Act like a grownup’: Drunk driver sobs when she loses plea deal by coming 4 hours late to court - July 23, 2017
- ‘I would’ve fired her the day I met her’: Glenn Beck reveals more about Tomi Lahren mess - July 23, 2017
- Canadian thug beats 74-year-old cyclist bloody with a club in road rage fit– and they say US is more violent? - July 23, 2017