Sen. Ellyn Bogdanoff, R-Ft. Lauderdale, will receive the 2012 Florida Legislative Bicycle Champion Award from Florida Walks and Bikes. The award will be given in honor of Bogdanoff’s longstanding efforts on behalf of Florida bicyclists and pedestrians. The award presentation will be held at 3:30 p.m., Friday, October 5, 2012, at 883 E. Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton, FL, 33432.
Sen. Bogdanoff included four bicycle-related items in HB 1223, which passed the Legislature on March 9, 2012 and which will become effective on January 1, 2013. These items were:
1) An amendment to F.S. 316.2065(5) which allows bicyclists to leave the bike lane to avoid potential conflicts.
2) An amendment to F.S. 316.2065(8) to allow cyclists, who have been cited for failure to use lights at night, to avoid paying a fine by showing proof that they have installed lights.
3) An amendment to F.S. 316.2397 to allow cyclists to use flashing lights at night. Flashing lights are widely used but are illegal under current law.
4) An amendment to F.S. 316.2065(3)(d) to require that all bicycle helmets in use after January 1, 2016 be approved by the federal Code of Federal Regulations, rules which are developed by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Florida Walks and Bikes is a statewide organization that recognizes Florida’s abysmal safety record in bicycle and pedestrian safety while also recognizing the great potential for biking and walking in the Sunshine State. Thus, their goal is “Taking Florida from Worst to First.”
- Cinco De Mayo Edition – Tommy’s Garage - May 8, 2021
- Britain’s Prince Philip dead at 99 - April 9, 2021
- BPR is expanding, hiring full time/part time assistant editor - June 17, 2019