By Jesse Phillips
Judges Power Grab
I was reading a book on politics recently when the author made a startling statement: “At the state level, the supreme courts have become the most powerful body in the state, surpassing the state legislators and governors”.
By virtue of their position as justices on Florida’s Supreme Court, Jorge Labarga and James Perry are two of the most powerful men in our state. Governors can make decisions, and legislators can pass laws. But judges can overturn them if and when they feel like it, without respect to the constitution. Like America, Florida is not truly ruled by law. It’s ruled by the judges’ whimsical interpretation of the law.
One of the most flagrant examples of this judicial indiscretion and usurpation of power was the recent decision to strike Amendment 9, the Health Care Freedom Act, from November’s ballot, preventing you from being able to vote to protect yourself from facing fines and jail time over health care decisions. Labarga and Perry did this without asking a single question at the hearings.
The People’s power grab
The judges made their power grab. Now it’s time for our own power grab. We’re going to clear the bench and make Florida’s Supreme Court the people’s court once again. Our supreme court is no place for Obamacare advocates.
We have an opportunity to fundamentally change the balance of power in Florida for years to come. The Supreme Court is the most powerful governing body in our state. It’s liberal by a 5-2 margin. If we can remove and replace two of the most powerful men in our state and clear the way for the appointment of originalist judges, the court will turn from a 5-2 liberal to 4-3 constructionist court.
Such an ideological triumph will take the state’s governing power out of the courts and place it where it should be, in the hands of the people and the representatives we choose for ourselves.
We can’t change our state’s balance of power without your help. We need you to be part of his historic effort. We are doing this without raising a dime in support. Here’s what you can do.
- Personally convince 5 of your friends to vote no on Labarga and Perry. Early voting is underway. To a person, everyone I’ve talked to has thanked me profusely for the information. They will vote no if they know why.
- Download our precinct flier, make copies and put on your neighbor’s doors. We’re going to get 200,000 of these distributed statewide.
Thank you for your help returning the power to the people.
- Cinco De Mayo Edition – Tommy’s Garage - May 8, 2021
- Britain’s Prince Philip dead at 99 - April 9, 2021
- BPR is expanding, hiring full time/part time assistant editor - June 17, 2019