Taliban Behind Times Sq. Bomb; Obama To Change Miranda?

Editor’s Note – The Obama administration begrudgingly acknowledges that the Times Square bombing attempt was terrorism, even going so far as to use the actual term!  This is no ‘man-caused disaster’ here, this was a blatant terrorist attack on America by Islamic extremists.  Eric Holder has even discovered that “we are now dealing with international terrorists”.  Can’t get much by this guy!

Which, of course, creates big problems for Obama’s strategy of fighting terrorism by ‘embracing‘ the world’s Muslim community, his thinking being that he will eliminate their reasons for wanting to attack us.  Obama still doesn’t understand that Islamic extremists want to kill us for who we are, not what we do.

And, typical of the Progressive’s now in control, instead of acknowledging that they’re wrong about something, they just change the rules to better accomodate their failures.  In this case, ‘you have a right to remain silent, after we ask all the questions we want to ask!’  Can you just imagine the uproar that we’d be hearing right now had George W. Bush suggested such a thing? 

Holder says Taliban behind Times Sq. bomb, eyes change to Miranda

Top Obama administration officials jettisoned the theory that the Times Square terror suspect acted alone on Sunday, revealing that the Taliban in Pakistan — known as Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan — hatched and bankrolled the failed plot.

Eric Holder, making his first Sunday shows appearance as Attorney General, told ABC’s Jake Tapper on “This Week” that investigators have “now developed evidence that show that the Pakistani Taliban was behind” last weekend’s attempted bombing of Times Square.

“We know that they helped facilitate it,” Holder said. “We know that they helped finance it, and that he [suspected bomber Faisal Shahzad] was working at their direction.” 

Holder also said for the first time that the administration is open to modifying the Miranda rules that protect criminal suspects in custody, and will work with Congress to revise its public safety exemption, which allows for delaying the warnings in the event a suspect has knowledge of an immediate danger to the public, to adapt to an age of terrorism.

“The [Miranda] system we have in place has proven to be effective,” said Holder, who has drawn criticism for administering the self-incrimination warning to Shahzad, a recently naturalized American.

“I think we also want to look and determine whether we have the necessary flexibility — whether we have a system that deals with situations that agents now confront. … We’re now dealing with international terrorism,” Holder said.

“I think we have to give serious consideration to at least modifying that public-safety exception [to the Miranda requirements]. And that’s one of the things that I think we’re going to be reaching out to Congress… to come up with a proposal that is both constitutional, but that is also relevant to our times and the threats that we now face.”

Holder has previously defended the Miranda warnings, saying they in fact help produce information.

He told the Senate Judiciary Committee in April that “the giving of Miranda warnings does not necessarily mean that the information flow stops. I think quite the contrary. What we have seen over this past year with regard to Zazi, Abdullah Mutallab, Headley, all of whom were given Miranda warnings. The information flow was substantial. ” 

Asked on NBC’s “Meet the Press” if Shahzad would be tried in civilian court, Holder said that “I suspect that he will.”

“We have developed information that I suspect could be used” in civilian court, he said, adding that he wasn’t sure a trial would be necessary.

On ABC, Holder said that Pakistani authorities have been “very cooperative” and left open the possibility that there will be more arrests in the United States. 

The TTP has not previously been publicly linked to any planned attacks on American soil.

Powered by Topple

Tom Tillison

Comments

Latest Articles