Time Square Bomb Plot Appears To Be Terrorist Attack

[sharenow]

Despite the attempts by the media to pin this act of terror on the tea party movement and ‘radical right wing’ groups, even stressing that the ‘person of interest’ was a white man who appears to be in his 40s,  the truth is quickly coming out. 

This certainly appears to be an attack with foreign implications, as the key suspect turns out to be a nationalized American citizen of Pakistani descent who recently returned from Pakistan. 

Further proof of the dangerous bias in the media, and, yet another attempted terrorist attack on American soil.  How many American citizens will eventually die because of the misguided appeasement policies of Barack Obama?  – Tom Tillison

By Sam Youngman and Jordan Fabian
The Hill

The White House said Monday it considers the failed bombing in New York City’s Times Square an attempted terrorist attack, and a federal terrorism task force began probing a possible international plot.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs stressed that officials are unsure who is responsible for leaving a crude bomb in an unattended vehicle on Saturday, although Attorney General Eric Holder reported “really substantial progress” in the investigation.

A vendor in Times Square reported a vehicle emitting smoke on Saturday night, and officials said the SUV contained a makeshift bomb that was in the process of detonating and could have caused fatalities.

“I would say that was intended to terrorize, absolutely,” Gibbs said. “And I would say whoever did that would be characterized as a terrorist.”

Gibbs said the White House is “actively participating in the investigation, making sure that local authorities have all the resources necessary to determine who is responsible.”

“We have not made that determination yet, but that’s actively ongoing,” said Gibbs said.

Holder told reporters Monday that “we have made really substantial progress” and “we have some good leads.”

A Pakistani Taliban group has claimed credit for the failed bombing. Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.), the ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said Monday that the plot did not appear to have been carried out by a foreign organization.

But in a story posted online Monday evening, The Washington Post quoted administration officials as saying an international link appeared increasingly likely. And the FBI-led Joint Terrorism Task Force had taken over the investigation from the New York City Police Department.

The failed attack represents another close call for President Barack Obama after a Nigerian man allegedly attempted to blow up a domestic airline flight on Christmas Day.

On Air Force One on Sunday, Gibbs was asked if the administration dodged another bullet and if there was any worry that, next time, an attack won’t be stopped.

“That’s a concern that we deal with every day,” Gibbs said.

On Monday, Obama called Duane Jackson, the T-shirt vendor who alerted authorities, and thanked him for his vigilance, Gibbs said. Police also identified the owner of the Nissan Pathfinder that contained the car bomb, but they said that person is not considered a suspect.

Meanwhile, Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) called on the Obama administration to fund a federal program designed to defend against terrorist attacks.

Schumer held a press conference Monday seeking full funding for the “Securing the Cities” program, an effort begun during the George W. Bush administration to create a sophisticated detection system for “dirty bombs.”

He also wants more money for a New York City Police Department surveillance program, which monitors the area where the incident took place.

Schumer’s office said earlier this year it had restored $18.5 million for the program in the current year after the administration removed it.

But the administration also removed funding for the program for the next budget cycle. Critics have questioned its viability, noting it might not be technologically feasible.

Officials have said that, in the absence of funding, New York City could apply for federal Homeland Security grants to continue the program.

Obama, who spoke on Sunday with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, said over the weekend that federal and city officials are working jointly to determine who carried out the attempted bombing.

“We’re going to do what’s necessary to protect the American people, to determine who is behind this potentially deadly act and to see that justice is done,” Obama said. “And I’m going to continue to monitor the situation closely and do what it takes at home and abroad to safeguard the security of the American people.”

DONATE TO BIZPAC REVIEW

Please help us! If you are fed up with letting radical big tech execs, phony fact-checkers, tyrannical liberals and a lying mainstream media have unprecedented power over your news please consider making a donation to BPR to help us fight them. Now is the time. Truth has never been more critical!

Success! Thank you for donating. Please share BPR content to help combat the lies.
[sharenow]
Tom Tillison

Comment

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.

PLEASE JOIN OUR NEW COMMENT SYSTEM! We love hearing from our readers and invite you to join us for feedback and great conversation. If you've commented with us before, we'll need you to re-input your email address for this. The public will not see it and we do not share it.

Latest Articles