President Trump isn’t afraid to call a bad deal when he sees one.
Late Thursday night, the president revealed why he canceled a trip to London to open the new embassy there.
Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 12, 2018
“Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for ‘peanuts,’ only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars,” President Trump wrote on Twitter. “Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!”
The president’s comments came after several British outlets reported that he was considering foregoing his trip to the new embassy’s opening next month. The US facility is located on Nine Elms, south-west London.
The Guardian ran a story that said President Trump “backed off” the visit and chose Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to replace him out of fear of protests.
“Donald Trump has cancelled a visit to Britain next month to open the new US embassy in London, amid fears of mass protests,” the Guardian piece read.
The article quoted London Mayor Sadiq Khan as saying “It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who love and admire America and Americans but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city’s values of inclusion, diversity and tolerance.”
Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message. pic.twitter.com/YD0ZHuWtr3
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) January 12, 2018
Former UK Labor Party leader Ed Miliband echoed Khan’s accusation that the visit was canceled out of concern of opposition.
Nope it’s because nobody wanted you to come. And you got the message. https://t.co/9xV7bFZQgL
— Ed Miliband (@Ed_Miliband) January 12, 2018
“Nope it’s because nobody wanted you to come,” Miliband tweeted. “And you got the message.”
The US embassy move was originally announced in 2008 under the Bush State Department. The old site was sold in 2009 and ground was broken at the new location in 2013.
British Prime Minister Theresa May has invited President Trump to visit the UK, although a visit date has not been set.
In late November last year, May criticized President Trump’s retweet of videos from a British right-wing group that depicted alleged crimes by Muslims against non-Muslims.
Sadiq Khan called on May to uninvite President Trump over the incident. May didn’t cut the invitation, but called the president’s action “the wrong thing to do.”
The president fired back at the time.
.@Theresa_May, don’t focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 30, 2017
President Trump has a knack for hitting hard with the truth.
Latest posts by Luis Miguel (see all)
- Porn star Stormy Daniels dishes to ‘In Touch’ on alleged affair with Trump –claims he cheated on Melania - January 17, 2018
- Late night host cracks sick joke about Melania after Trump’s doctor says he’s in ‘excellent’ health - January 17, 2018
- Karma strikes NFL: Teams with anthem protesters will be kneeling at home in front of their TVs - January 17, 2018