Chef Mario Batali’s apology for sex assault included a recipe for cinnamon rolls, Walmart wasn’t impressed

Celebrity chef Mario Batali’s apology for sexual assault was a recipe for disaster.

“As many of you know, this week there has been some news coverage about some of my past behavior,” the chef wrote on Friday in his newsletter to fans. “I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team. My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”

“Sharing the joys of Italian food, tradition and hospitality with all of you, each week, is an honor and privilege,” he said. “Without the support of all of you– my fans–I would never have a forum in which to expound on this. I will work every day to regain your respect and trust.”

AP / Mark Lennihan

That apology would have been fine had he stopped there. But for some inexplicable reason Batali continued by adding recipe to his apology.

“PS. in case you’re searching for a holiday–inspired breakfast, these Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls are a fan favorite,” he wrote, with a picture of the finished product and a link to the recipe.

After Batali’s sexual abuse of employees and colleagues was revealed last week, the restaurateur announced that he was stepping down from managing the day-to-day operations of his businesses.

That was followed by the chef being fired from hosting duties on ABC’s daytime hit “The Chew.”

Getty / Paul Zimmerman

And now Walmart and Target have announced that they are severing ties with Batali and will no longer carry his products, the New York Post reported.

“The recent sexual misconduct allegations against Mario Batali are unacceptable,” Walmart said in a statement. “We’re ending our relationship with Batali and will discontinue our business with his brand.”

He may suffer a similar fate from the company who produces his sauces, Summer Garden Foods, who issued a statement announcing that they are moving away from Batali’s products and will donate proceeds from the current products to a nonprofit organization.

“We are proud of the products we have created that carry Mr. Batali’s brand. But the kind of behavior ascribed to Mr. Batali violates our core values and beliefs, and we take these issues very seriously,” it said in a statement on its website.

AP / Bebeto Matthews

“We have taken our concerns to Mr. Batali, and he has responded. We have spoken to Mr. Batali and have agreed that he will forego any profits that he might receive from the sale of these products and instead we will direct those proceeds to a nonprofit organization. We will be focused on identifying and working with an organization that empowers and advances women and hope to have more information about that soon.

“We also will be working to transition our products away from the Batali brand. During this transition period, we hope that our grocery partners and shoppers will continue to enjoy this high-quality product. Hundreds of people’s livelihoods depend on these products and we want to use proceeds from them to do some good amid a very bad situation.”

Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE

Carmine Sabia

Carmine Sabia

Carmine Sabia Jr started his own professional wrestling business at age 18 and went on to become a real estate investor. Currently he is a pundit who covers political news and current events.
Carmine Sabia

Related Posts