Country music star John Rich recounted a riveting story about the mass shooting in Las Vegas, where he experienced the terror, first-hand.
Rich has performed all over the world and was never so impressed as he was by the brave police officers who ran toward danger on October 1.
Rich, of the country music duo Big & Rich, had played at the Route 91 Harvest festival shortly before crazed gunman Stephen Paddock killed 59 people and injured more than 500.
After he performed, Rich went to a nearby bar he owns to play for fans. He got a call about the shooting as it was happening in real time and feared for the patrons in his bar.
An off-duty Minneapolis police officer asked Rich if he had a gun on him and then asked if he could borrow it to protect the restaurant. Rich told Fox News (see video below):
He came up to me and showed me his badge and he said, ‘I’m an officer and I am not armed’ and asked me, ‘Are you armed?’ I said, ‘Yes sir, I am armed.’
I have my concealed weapon permit. And he said, ‘Can I have your firearm so I can hold point on the front door?’ So I handed over my firearm to him. Everyone got behind him. And for about two hours, without flinching, this guy kept point on that front door just in case someone came through.
Rich is a vocal Trump supporter who does a lot of charity work benefiting military veterans and law enforcement.
He said country-music fans will no doubt rise to the occasion to help Las Vegas in the aftermath of this tragedy. “I would expect a really strong response out of all of country music,” he said.
Rich recalled that during his performance at the Route 91 music festival, the crowd shared a transcendent moment of unity he will never forget:
“Every show, we bring up veterans and active duty up on stage [to honor them]. At one point in the show, we had all 22,000 people singing in unison ‘God Bless America.’
There’s no race in that. There’s no politics in that. There’s no religion in that. That’s just America with one voice all singing a song about our country. That was going on two hours before the shooting started.” (see video below by Aimee Wenske/Twitter.)
— Aimee Wenske (@aimeerae23) October 3, 2017
Patriotic Twitter users praised law enforcement for their bravery once again during a time of crisis.
Thanks to all first responders, police officers, and every civilian who thought of others first at the risk of their own lives. #LasVegas
— James Woods (@RealJamesWoods) October 2, 2017
— Senator Dick Black (@SenRichardBlack) October 2, 2017
IDENTIFIED: Las Vegas Police Officer, Charleston “Chuck” Hartfield killed in Las Vegas mass shooting Thank you for your service – R.I.P. My thoughts and prayers to the Hartfield Family! ? pic.twitter.com/B2xKdBcUgX
— VegasMac (@Mac_Vegas) October 3, 2017
— PolitiDiva™ (@realPolitiDiva) October 2, 2017
To the police officers & 1st responders in Las Vegas thank you. When everyone was running away from gunfire you ran towards it.
— Gary Owen (@garyowencomedy) October 2, 2017
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) October 2, 2017
Clueless liberals are foaming at the mouth over “gun control” after the Las Vegas shooting. Meanwhile, they say nothing about the countless black-on-black shootings and murders that occur every single weekend in Chicago.
Chicago — which has had a Democratic mayor since 1927 — has among the strictest gun-control laws in the United States. As you can see, that’s working out really well for them:
- 4 killed, 29 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings (Oct. 2)
- 3 killed, 36 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings (Sept. 25)
- 10 killed, at least 31 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings (Sept. 18)
- 5 killed, 31 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings (Sept. 11)
- 8 dead, at least 35 wounded in Chicago Labor Day weekend (Sept. 3)
- 7 dead, 25 wounded in weekend shootings across Chicago (Aug. 28)
- 65 people shot, 9 killed in Chicago over the weekend (Aug. 21)
- 9 killed, at least 33 wounded in weekend shootings in Chicago (Aug. 14)
- 3 Killed, at least 29 wounded in Chicago weekend shootings (Aug. 7)
Latest posts by Samantha Chang (see all)
- It’s not just sports players taking a knee: Anti-Pledge of Allegiance protest hits city government - October 19, 2017
- After sex abuse scandal rocks Hollywood, Monica Lewinsky tweets 2 words Bill Clinton was dreading - October 19, 2017
- Trump says he’s done more than any POTUS in 9 months, rattles off ways he’s destroying Obama legacy - October 18, 2017