So far, so good.
A U.S. federal court refused to apply the emergency restraining order from President Trump’s immigration executive order to his newly modified travel ban.
Seattle U.S. District Court Judge James Robart, who issued the temporary restraining order against Trump’s initial order last month, refused a request on Friday to apply that order to the revised policy according to Reuters.
Robart, appointed in 2003 by former President George W. Bush, said lawyers from the states that opposed the order need to file more extensive court papers.
Trump’s January executive order on immigration, which temporarily halted citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S., was challenged by a group of states including Washington and Minnesota. Robart had issued a temporary restraining order to halt implementation of the policy.
The modified executive order, which will go into effect March 16, removed Iraq from the list of countries with temporary bans on travel and no longer indefinitely bars Syrian refugees.
Hawaii and Washington state filed lawsuits to block the revised order but top Trump adviser, Kellyanne Conway, said that was expected.
“We anticipated several states will challenge it legally,” Conway said on Fox News Channel’s “The O’Reilly Factor” Friday.
But Conway was confident the president’s new version of the executive order would “pass legal muster.”
Trump’s counselor pointed to Iraq’s removal from the revised list as a “great signal” as to how other nations, which are known to “harbor, train or export terrorists,” can be removed from the ban.
Conway pointed out that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly worked with Iraq over the last month to get better policies and vetting in place and get it removed from the list.
“We’ve made significant changes and we know it will pass legal muster,” she said.
Wake up right! Receive our free morning news blast HERE
Latest posts by Frieda Powers (see all)
- Trump targets publicity-hound Lindsey Graham & his MSM buddies in early morning tweet storm - August 17, 2017
- Ann Coultergoes off on the ‘poor liberal foundlings’ of East Hampton when accused of ‘pilfering’ for profits - August 17, 2017
- ‘Calm down’: ESPN apologizes for fantasy football draft auctioning ‘black men off to highest bidder’ - August 16, 2017