As Detroit continues to reel from the dismal results of progressive policies run amok, citizens in the bankrupt city are being forced to arm themselves to protect life and property.
Amid a staggeringly high crime rate and a police department so beset with budget cuts that responding to calls for help is hit or miss, residents there are determined to defend themselves — and are exercising their Second Amendment rights to do so, The Blaze reported.
It’s a move being encouraged by Detroit Police Chief James Craig.
“I think it’s a deterrent,” Craig said in a recent interview on local radio station WJR. “Good Americans with [concealed pistol licenses] translates into crime reduction, too.
And with 10 fatal self-defense shootings in 2014 so far, putting Detroit on pace to see as many as 40 such shootings for the year, residents are putting these weapons to use.
“We’re just tired, basically,” resident Frances Williams told the Detroit Free Press. “We’re not going to live in fear. People are just doing what they have to do, you know, and just as anybody else, we value our lives, and we’d like to be able to live out our lives in peace.”
Williams’ neighbor shot and killed two men earlier this week trying to break into his home.
“We can and we will protect ourselves,” Williams said. “You can’t be having a culture of fear. The police are going to have to do better.”
Other recent self-defense shootings, according to The Detroit News:
• On March 7, a woman in her 50s shot and killed a man trying to break into her home in the 22000 block of Grove Street. She heard noises at her rear window and shot the intruder in the chest.
• At 2 a.m. Feb. 22, two men broke into a house on the city’s southwest side; the homeowner shot both men. A 21-year-old man died and the other man escaped.
• Earlier on Feb. 22, at 12:30 a.m., a woman who was surprised by a gunman when she pulled her car into the garage was able to reach for her own gun and fatally shoot the man.
• A woman on Feb. 17 opened fire on three teens who kicked in her door. The alleged intruders, ages 14, 14 and 15, were caught by police and charged with home invasion.
“This should be a message to those who continue to perpetuate violence on Detroiters that enough is enough,” Craig said. “Detroiters are fed up and they are taking action.”
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Pro-Hillary Clinton super-PAC accepted $200K in banned donations, the Hill reports exclusively - June 29, 2016
- When Brit Hume is challenged about Fox News being ‘anti-Trump,’ he calls out 4 hosts by name - June 29, 2016
- Meanwhile, CNN’s hot news, Obama stacks ‘Cheerios’ on a stuffed dog … - June 29, 2016