Prompted by a woman charged with killing another woman last weekend over the Alabama vs. Auburn college football game, a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army is calling for a ban on handguns and is willing to “pry your gun from your cold, dead, fingers.”
In an editorial titled “It’s Time to Talk About Guns and the Supreme Court,” ran Tuesday in Esquire Magazine, Lt. Col. Robert L. Bateman rips the Supreme Court for a 2008 interpretation of the Second Amendment, singling out Justice Antonin Scalia for special scorn.
“You have got to be fking kidding me,” Bateman wrote in response to the ruling.
But what can you expect from a man who states that his job, “at the end of the day, is about killing.”
Bateman’s argument is a continuation of the myth that the Second Amendment is for a “well regulated militia,” and he points to the Militia Act passed in 1903 to support his argument.
Quick to call others out for their ignorance, Bateman fails to understand that in defining the right to keep and bear arms, the Second Amendment clearly states that the right belongs to “the people,” not a well regulated militia. An elementary understanding of the English language tells us this much.
Upon establishing his case, the lieutenant colonel then offers his “suggestions.” That an officer in the U.S. Army is espousing such recommendations should be troubling to all:
1. The only guns permitted will be the following:
a. Smoothbore or Rifled muzzle-loading blackpowder muskets.
b. Double-barrel breech-loading shotguns. Hunting with these is valid.
c. Bolt-action rifles with a magazine capacity no greater than five rounds.
2. We will pry your gun from your cold, dead, fingers. That is because I am willing to wait until you die, hopefully of natural causes… When you die your weapons must be turned into the local police department, which will then destroy them.
3. Police departments are no longer allowed to sell or auction weapons used in crimes after the cases have been closed.
4. We will submit a new tax on ammunition. In the first two years it will be 400 percent of the current retail cost of that type of ammunition.
5. We will initiate a nationwide “buy-back” program, effective immediately, with the payouts coming from the DoD budget.
6. The major gun manufactures of the United States, less those who create weapons for the federal government and the armed forces, will be bought out by the United States of America, for our own damned good.
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- James Woods’ daily liberal spanking: Hillary gets hers, but the actor has help tanning Obama - September 25, 2016
- History teacher didn’t think he’d get punished for disrespecting the American flag in class – he was wrong! - September 25, 2016
- Mike Pence dashes hopes of Gennifer Flowers – Hillary Clinton debate showdown - September 25, 2016