President Obama keeps trying to bury Benghazi.
On Monday, civilian employees State Department employees who were initially held responsible for American inaction during the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in September were returned to their jobs without formal discipline.
Now, an on-the-ground military response to the almost year-old attack is being taken off the table, according to Fox News.
American special forces units sent to Libya to track down, capture or kill the terrorists who attacked the U.S. consulate on Sept. 11, 2012, are getting ready to leave the country empty-handed, Fox reported Friday.
But they’re full of anger at an administration that could “never pull the trigger” on taking action against those responsible for killing an American ambassador and three other Americans even though they’ve been identified, sources told Fox.
One special forces leader “literally yelled” at former Libyan Chief of Mission William Roebuck, Fox reported, asking “so, you’re willing to let these guys get away with murder?”
“We put American special operations in harm’s way to develop a picture of these suspects and to seek justice and instead of acting, we stalled,” one source told Fox. “We just let it slip and pass us by and now it’s going to be much more difficult.”
According to the Pentagon, the special forces are in Libya only to train local forces in counterterrorism.
But sources told Fox that wasn’t the whole truth.
“The training is partly a cover and some of these guys … provided the information on suspects directly to U.S. military commanders and the U.S. State Department last November and again in January. They are there and trained to find, fix and finish,” one said.
They might have found, but they’re not going to finish.
Despite telling State Department officials numerous times, from as far back as last November when Hillary Clinton was secretary of state to as recently as Aug. 7, when Obama himself was briefed on the possibilities of a military strike, orders never came, sources told Fox.
Instead, the president portentously announced on Aug. 9 that a “sealed indictment” had been obtained.
Then he went on vacation.