Women who are about to be raped at or near the University of Arkansas at Little Rock should nod at their attackers as an alternative to using deadly force, according to that university’s safety expert. Huh?
The Arkansas legislature recently gave schools the authority to opt out of the state’s concealed carry laws and thereby ban guns on campus. Most schools have chosen to do so, including Arkansas State University and the University of Arkansas, as reported by The College Fix. The ban extends to even professors and staff members, leaving some observers puzzled.
“We just don’t understand how someone trusted to teach in a university and has also gone through the additional rigor to obtain a concealed handgun carry license environment cannot be trusted with their self-defense,” said Mike Newbern, assistant director of public relations for Students for Conceal and Carry.
That still leaves open the question of self-protection while on or near campus, a question and concern raised in a thread of emails among UALR staff, one of whom had been recently assaulted by a group of teens while heading to class, according to The Daily Caller.
“I had not gone very far before I was attacked from behind by two of them and received a number of blows to the back of my head,” the UALR biology professor wrote.
UALR Department of Public Safety detective Sharon Houlette had a suggestion for dealing with this problem.
“A glance or a nod will help you show anyone who might think that you are not paying attention, and you are aware of their presence,” she wrote in a responding email. This was actually one of four tips Houlette offered, the others being according to The Arkansas Project:
1. “Always pay attention to your surroundings.”
2. Attend a complimentary “Crime Prevention presentation or workshop!”
3. Park on campus and use the trolley service to get to class so as to reduce the potential attack time.
Nic Horton of the Arkansas Project had a tip of his own: “If you must step foot on a college campus, choose one that respects your 2nd Amendment rights.”
I’m with Nic on this one.
This article has been updated to correct inaccurate information originally obtained from the Daily Caller. The inaccuracies have been corrected both here and on the Daily Caller website.
Latest posts by Michael Dorstewitz (see all)
- Chuck Todd has his own suggestion for who Donald Trump should put in debate front row to rattle Hillary - September 26, 2016
- Cuban sandwich! Diamond and Silk say they’re coming for Mark Cuban if he shows up at debate - September 26, 2016
- Civil rights museum DENIES Donald Trump’s request to visit – statement proves who the real racists are - September 25, 2016