President Obama and administration officials have said the decision to cancel White House tours was made by the Secret Service in order to avoid furloughs and other cutbacks necessitated by the sequester’s automatic spending cuts, according to The Hill.
In an interview with ABC, when asked about the tours, Obama said it was “not a decision that went up to the White House.”
Obama insisted that the Secret Service was behind the controversial call to suspend the tours, explaining to House Republicans during a meeting on Capitol Hill Wednesday that “the Secret Service made the decision,” reports Fox News.
Fair enough. Only one problem here… someone forgot to tell White House press secretary Jay Carney, who clearly stated that it was a White House decision to nix the tours, not the Secret Service:
“We had to cancel the tours. It’s our job to cancel the tours. They cannot cancel them so — because we run — this is not a tour of the Secret Service building. It’s a tour of the White House and the grounds. And we run the tours and invitations and that process”
While covering the issue Thursday morning, Fox and Friend’s Steve Doocy questioned comments about the Secret Service furloughs: “Nobody has lost their jobs yet. But they stopped the tours last week. What’s up with that?”
Video courtesy of Weasel Zippers
Latest posts by Tom Tillison (see all)
- Boston bombers’ sister threatens boyfriend’s ex with a bomb; turns herself in - August 28, 2014
- Amid legal threats, Fla. school district initiates a ‘cleansing ofChristianity from its ranks’ - August 28, 2014
- 9-year-old girl tragically kills gun range instructor while firing an Uzi - August 28, 2014