While some police chiefs and county sheriffs take their oath “to defend and uphold the Constitution” seriously, one California police chief sounds ready to trash the Second Amendment completely and start all over.
Expressing support for President Obama and U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s clarion call for restrictive gun laws, San Diego Chief of Police William Lansdowne said last week that with the right measures, America could be disarmed within “a generation,” the Washington Guardian reported.
“I could not be more supportive of the president for taking the position he has,” Landowne told KPBS in a televised interview last week. “I think it’s courageous with the politics involved in this process. But I think it’s going to eventually make the country safer and certainly safer for my officers that have to respond to these calls. ”
The following exchange took place prior to a separate interview according to the Washington Guardian:
Lansdowne suggested the Newtown, Conn., massacre may have undercut the gun lobby’s power and opened the door for new gun control legislation. “We broke the NRA,” Lansdowne boasted in an off camera portion of an interview with San Diego 6 and the Washington Guardian. When asked to expound, he demurred.
Arizona’s Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu disagrees. Although his area was the scene that almost took the life of Rep. Gabby Giffords a few years ago, he’s highly critical of the legislative knee-jerk reaction to recent gun violence.
“Cities with the largest gun crime problems are New York City, Chicago and Washington DC all have one thing in common- the strictest gun laws,” he said, according to the Guardian. “This is not a gun issue, it’s a mental health issue,” he said.
Sheriff’s PSA calling residents to protect themselves
Latest posts by Michael Dorstewitz (see all)
- George Clooney gets backlash for meeting with Merkel; ‘10,000 refugees a year not enough’ for US - February 12, 2016
- ‘Lord, please help us’; Sheriff Clarke spots disturbing trend for law enforcement - February 12, 2016
- Anchor DOUBLES DOWN after death threats for Beyoncé Super Bowl truth bomb; ‘You will not silence me!’ - February 12, 2016