Other than slaughtering their citizens for political reasons, are there many government offenses more serious than deliberately lying to the people?
Doublespeak, according to Wikipedia, is “language that deliberately disguises, distorts or reverses the meaning of words.” Politicians also use doublespeak to outright lie, intentionally cloud their statements with ambiguity and make truths less unpleasant.
Doublespeak comes from the writings of George Orwell (remember “1984”?): “Political language…is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.”
In America, we have too many politicians who seek to hide the truth. Their deceit spawns convoluted phrasing and distorted language to disguise their true intentions.
Dictatorial politicians secretly laugh at the notion that governments shouldn’t conspire against the truth and lie to the people, because totalitarian ambitions are usually achieved by lies. Extreme partisans and demagogues also find doublespeak useful.
The Oscar winners for Best Doublespeak are Barack Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Obama has become the master of the poisoned word, saying one thing and doing another. His language is drenched in doublespeak.
Here’s the evidence:
- When Obama decided to create a new immigration law by bypassing Congress, he announced – presto — a new class of illegal aliens. Adding to the frightening reality of a president who decides to create his own laws, Obama described this new law as merely an administrative “reallocation” of “resources.”
- When Reid’s Democratic-controlled Senate failed to propose a budget, the Democratic Congress failed to pass a budget and Obama failed to demand they do so. Two years later, Republicans passed a budget in the House, yet Obama accused Republicans of “delaying on economic policies.”
- Obama’s Affordable Care Act will be unaffordable in coming years. It created seven separate tax hikes and new taxes, and health-care costs will be driven sky-high.
- In Obama’s mind, decline and diminishment become “moving in the right direction.”
- Extending Bush’s tax cuts for people making less than $250,000 morphed into Obama claiming it was his “middle-class tax cut.”
- The federal government’s “deficit-reduction plan” actually increased the federal debt.
- Bombing became “servicing the target” in government-speak, and war became “national confrontation.”
- “Equality” now requires putting men at a disadvantage, and “affirmative action” becomes a way to favor minorities or women.
- Obama’s spending to benefit political allies is called “investments” in welfare programs and education.
- Under Obama, “enemy combatants” have become “captured people held at GuantanamoBay.”
- Progressives and Obama do not consider upper-middle-class and wealthy working people to be among America’s “working families.”
- “Streamlining Medicare” is a new term for gutting Medicare.
- Obama announced that his stimulus spending would “create or save” a certain number of new jobs, but he knew as he spoke that there is no way to measure how to save jobs. He considers a saved job to be the same as a “created job not realized.” Doublespeak.
- Taxing and spending are now known as “investing in the economy.”
- Those wanting restraints on government are “extremists,” while people who want more government are “compassionate” and “mainstream.”
- Deficit spending has become “stimulating the economy.”
- Irresponsible people who lied on their mortgage applications are “victims of greedy bankers.”
- Obama says that “tax cuts benefit the wealthy at the expense of the middle class.” But keeping your own money in your pocket benefits both the middle class and the wealthy.
- “Free choice” is the new name for forced membership in unions.
- “Sensitivity training” is really mandatory sessions to “re-educate” people who possess politically incorrect, “wrong” beliefs about social issues.
When government uses language to increase and safeguard its power, when it uses doublespeak to justify tyrannies great and small, this is not only totalitarianism; it causes lies to transform into accepted truths. But the left considers its corrupt actions and unethical doublespeak helpful to the have-nots, so it’s justified. This is like trying to put lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig.
Latest posts by John R. Smith (see all)
- Liberals’ crumbling conspiracy theory: The Trumpfish swims away - December 4, 2017
- Identity politics and haters have destabilized America … can we fix it? - November 27, 2017
- Time to trash Obama’s ‘Citizen of the World’ nonsense - November 14, 2017