The New-York area Journal News announced Friday that its interactive map pinpointing the names and addresses of local gun permit owners is being removed from its website. The decision was made after nearly a month of outcry from lawmakers, police and the public.
The newspaper said its decision was based on its assessment that the map had already served its purpose and that the removal was not as an admission that the map was a bad idea from the start.
“Our decision to do so is not a concession to critics that no value was served by the posting of the map in the first place,” Janet Hasson, publisher of the Gannett-owned newspaper, said in a letter posted on its website. “On the contrary, we’ve heard from too many grateful community members to consider our decision to post information contained in the public record to have been a mistake.
“Nor is our decision made because we were intimidated by those who threatened the safety of our staffers,” she added. “We know our business is a controversial one, and we do not cower.”
The full letter from the Journal News may be read here.
Readers outraged as NY paper published map of gun owners
Latest posts by Michael Dorstewitz (see all)
- Leaked Media Matters memo details impeachment plans for Trump - January 22, 2017
- Pollster Frank Luntz shaken after getting attacked by anti-Trumpers: ‘I never thought this would be America’ - January 22, 2017
- Wikileaks vows to go after Trump over ‘breach of promise . . . more gratuitous than Clinton’ concealment - January 22, 2017