Assault victim blames attack on ‘Russian Jew’

Bashir Ahmad, a devout Muslim, was attacked and stabbed while trying to open the door to his storefront mosque in Queens, N.Y. Police described his assailant as an Hispanic male, but Ahmad said it was a “Russian Jew.”

The New York Post headlined the story, “Mosque attack victim warns of eye for an eye,” because Ahmad has vowed to kill his attacker if he ever sees him again.

Fair enough.

But what caught my eye was the differing descriptions of the assailant.

Ahmad said he didn’t recognize his attacker and described him as “a Russian Jew.”

Police said they are investigating the attack as a possible hate crime and searching for the thug, whom they described as a Hispanic man in his 40s, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds.

I grew up in Queens, and I’ve spent the last 20 years living in Palm Beach County, so I’m familiar with a lot of different ethnic groups, especially Jewish people. And guess what?

I have no idea what a Russian Jew looks like, or how to tell them apart from anyone else.

Hopefully, Ahmad’s attacker will be caught and sent to prison for a long time, no matter what his religious or ethnic background.

But given the conflicting descriptions of his assailant, one has to wonder if maybe Ahmad might be in the habit of blaming everything bad that happens in the world on “da joooosss.”

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed
About Jack Furnari

Jack Furnari is a founding partner of BizPacReview.com, an editorial board member, and one of our writers. Jack can be reached at Jack@BIZPACReview.com, Google, & @Jackbpr

  • Bocabarbara

    Who can figure out ethnicity any more? We are such a combination of different nationalitites now adays. In New York it is especially difficult – it is the melting pot of the world. The other day in Boca I heard an Asian woman speaking Spanish to her small son. The victim in Queens might be able to distinguish a Russian accent but a Russian Jew, I don't think so.

  • Dmitry

    Guys, that's easy: I am sure that the attacker was holding a knife in one hand and a bottle of Stoli in another. As a Ukrainian Jew myself I have it as my favorite pass-time: having those two items with me all the time and chasing muslims while yelling "Aualluh is NOT akbar at all"!

  • Michael

    On election day I had an argument with an anti semitic Obama activist who was frothing at the mouth about how the Jews were threatening her . One of her buddies was shouting how she loved Al Sharpton (who lead the pogrom in Crown Heights killing Yankel Rosenbaum).

    Jew hatred is becoming the norm in Obama's America. The fact that a Jew hater like Susan Rice is being considered for Secretary of State is horrifying. Worse is no one even thinks her Jew hatred is a reason to disqualify more so.

    http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2008/11/obamas-un-

  • Barry G.

    Jews are being blamed for everything including the World economic mess, the war in Israel as well as the reason for all the anti American hatred in the Mulsim world, if the USA would just stop aiding Israel then all the Terrorists would go home and leave us alone don't you know!!! This is what it looked like in 1930's Europe as Hitler took power, beware of what you voted for all you Liberal Jews out there.

  • Rifraffe

    I really don't think we should let any of this cross the radar of our genuine concern until about 5,000 or so devout muslims (he runs a mosque? Is that what makes him devout?) are inconvenienced. What is preached in these so-called holy places is hatred for the Jews, hatred for the "West", hatred for anything that is not muslim. I will continue to think that way until muslims who are not terrorist-minded start complaining loud enough for us to hear that they are getting a bad name from the ones who are terrorist-minded. Right? It's like the old joke that says the problem with lawyers is that 99% of them give the other 1% a bad name!

  • Rich

    Whether it is Jew , Christian, Muslim or some other hatred there is plenty of it to go around. It is cheap and it is the easy way to avoid taking responsibility as a citizen of our world. If we don't speak out against it we become a responsible party to it. Building a better world takes hard work and comes with a price but it also pays great dividends . I wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving. God Bless.